Difference between handmade and machine-made rugs
Handmade area rugs are thousand times better than a machine made carpet. Handmade carpets and rugs are woven in natural materials like pure silk, New Zealand wool, cotton, jute, etc. but a machine made carpet is made in bamboo silk, acrylic, nylon etc. A handmade rug is made on a handloom which is 100% operated by hand (no electricity required) but a machine made a rug is made on a power-loom which is operated by computer instructions. A handmade area rug takes many months to weave and weaving duration depends on the design, size and color combinations of carpet. Handmade area rug is 100% hand washable and highly durable as compared to a machine made carpet.
What are the popular designs of area rugs?
Handmade carpets and rugs are woven in various designs but it is divided into two main categories like traditional and modern. In traditional categories, most of the designs have been originated in the 16th – 19th century. Find some traditional designs below-
5) Medallion Kashan
Now find some modern designs which are very famous in carpet industry-
2) Floral with bold motifs
How to clean stains on my handmade rug
As we know that a handmade rug is woven in natural material with fixed color. It is 100% hand washable. If you want to clean your rug then follow the below steps-
1) Vacuum your rug from both sides (especially the hidden part of carpet)
2) Don’t use a hard vacuum for handmade silk carpet otherwise, it may destroy the pile. You can use it for wool, cotton and jute carpet.
3) After vacuuming, Place your rug in a courtyard and flow warm water on it. You can use a solution of detergent for cleaning it in a better way. Don’t use a hard brush to scrub it. You can scrub it with a soft hair brush or by hand.
4) Flow cold water for cleaning detergent on a carpet. The direction of flowing water should be in the direction of carpet piles.
5) If it is affected with dark spot then you can use baking soda. Use baking soda paste on the affected area and leave it for 20-30 minutes. Once it is dry, vacuum it.
6) You can use a vinegar solution for removing smell from your carpet.
What kinds of rugs are most durable?
Handmade carpets and rugs are made in natural materials and woven by hand. Handmade area rug is made in three techniques like hand-knotted, hand-tufted and flat-woven. A hand-knotted rug is also known as interweaving technique. Hand knotted and flat-woven rugs are the highly durable rug. You can use it from one generation to the next generation.
How to buy area rugs online for my living room?
Handmade rugs and carpets are a very exclusive item and expensive too. It takes many months to weave. There are many websites where you can buy a handmade rug but if you are going to spend a lot of money only by seeing the carpet online, then the online carpet store should be trustworthy. A living room is a place where we spend a lot of times. It is a place where you can show your personality and choice. There are three ways to put your carpet in a living room like off carpet, on a carpet and front leg on a carpet. In off carpet, you can shop a small size rug like 4’x6 ft. For the on carpet method, buy a large area rug so that you can put your whole furniture on it. In front of the leg on the carpet, you should take a medium size carpet. So, you can put the front legs of your furniture on it.
If you are going to buy a rug online then prefer a carpet manufacturer website. Rugs and Beyond have their own setup of carpet making. A manufacturer always provides best material carpet at best price range.
Originally Published on Rugs and Beyond